In February 2016, we decided to switch to Voipo from our previous voice-over-ip company of 5 years for the low cost. We didn’t think much of it since we treated that number as a landline backup phone and rarely used it.
Our first trouble was that after a few days of waiting, we found out that the number porting was disapproved and further action was required. What??? The reason, according to Voipo, was that our previous company would not release it. ( But really?? I should have noticed at that time Voipo had a tendency to blame others for wrongdoing.)
Then next few days, a few back and forth message exchanges and more documentation ( with zero help of a real human at Voipo by the way, more a DIY style navigation), finally the number was ported, much longer than I ever thought. This lengthy process should have been a sign for me to stay away from Voipo. Keep in mind this porting drama happened AFTER I paid for a two year contract, and all of a sudden not sure whether the porting would eventually get through or we would lose the number of many years. Before that, I had always assumed number porting was a breeze in the process of switching providers. When time came we finally plugged in the Voipo adapter, we noticed something odd, that was, one phone jack on Voipo adapter was not dead, and the remaining working one had a high static background noise, At that time, I told my wife Voipo must have blocked one of them and allowed only one to work. I didn’t assume that could be a detective equipment mainly because that had never happen with other companies we had. Since this was a backup number we only use in occasions, we simply tolerated the background statics of that working line with a splitter to a phone and a fax. That’s our second mistake. Little dud we know later on Voipo would blame us for that first adapter, while it was a defective unit upon its arrival. Thinking back, we were tired from chasing down the number porting and just wanted some peace at that time. Fast forward another two months, one day in April 2016, my wife decided to use that number to make a call, and the statics was so incredible, that makes a conversation impossible. I contacted Voipo. After a few days of message exchanges and self troubleshooting attempts based on their instructions, they finally agreed to send us a new unit. The new unit worked great, with clear signals on both phone jack. But again, we should have noticed that it took quite a bit of “convincing” for Voipo to take any action to help their customers out, correcting a mistake that’s most likely their fault. They blame all on the customers, as if we were criminals who love to cheat.
Rather, we were happy at that time because finally we had a useful phone back! A simple joy we assumed and had with the previous two carriers. Well, not so fast! Fast-forward another 4 months, in August 2016, we accidentally noticed ( again, we rarely use that phone) that there was zero signal from that phone line. When did that first happen ? We had no idea since this was a secondary number/phone we rarely used. So as an experienced DIYer by this point, I started the troubleshoot, from the network setting, to power outlet. This took me a precious multiple hours of attempts to rule out every possible causes that’s not adapter related. When I had my prime suspect of the problem, the adapter again, something I can’t fix on my own, I contacted Voipo. Of course, a long journey of “convincing” and agony which showcased how little Voipo thought of customers. I finally realized that in their mind, we were all merely criminal who would like to scam their company!
Each question l was asked was repeated a dozen times by different rep and support tech, who didn’t bother spend time reading the notes and my previous typed answers. Imagine each time I typed the same lengthy answers to address the inquiries of a tech or network engineer, before it was handed out to next, who did not read what’s been asked and done, all clearly typed in the ticket? It ended up a long digital paper trail with repeated typed questions and answers. So 5 hours later, problem was still unsolved. They sent a ticket suggesting that I initiate an online help session, in which they navigated my home computer and network environment remotely. I agreed. Another 3 hours passed, they finally came to the conclusion that their adapter was the culprit, what I had been telling them all along. Guess what, at this point, Voipo in words basically told us we were the one who messed up the system – you damaged it, you paid for it. All yours. They took zero blame. Really? In the past 10 years of time we never had such experience with any other voice over ip companies. How low the ethics bar can a company has? It was the low cost and the shear numbers of features Voipo offered lured us to switch.
We were speechless to hear Voipo would finger-point on us that we broke 2 of their units. We have a rather new house with surge protection wired, temperature and humidity control all year round and even a designated area for the adapter where no one is nearby. Not to mention our good records in the past with voice ip. If any blame has to be placed, I would think it’s mostly likely the quality of Voipo equipment, the adapter they sent us, not us. Hope this experience of our account will help you with more well rounded assessment. Don’t simply go for the price and features alone! We certainly regretted our decision and the precious time and efforts that cost us. Now, by switching it out to another service provider again and abandoning a two year prepaid contract, we also lost on the money side too. Hope you are all careful with your decisions. Buyers be aware.
Reliability,signal quality, number porting, adapter quality.